Tuesday, July 2, 2013

a salute to Casey and Shannon

Let me jump right into this: My niece goes to a playgroup. My sister couldn't take one day, so I did.  At first I sat there, sipping my iced coffee thinking about what the hell I would say if they asked me something.  They chatted amongst each other about potty training and hectic mornings and all I could wonder is if I fed my fish that morning and if I remembered to put the rest of my wine in the fridge the night before.  I thought the whole three hours I'd just scroll facebook and wait to go.

A few minutes in they figured out who I was and it broke the awkwardness I felt.  They told me how I'm so much quieter than my sister, which I loved because she is loud as shit and everyone in the family thinks I am.  Sitting across from me was this woman, Casey who was SO friendly and had such a smile that lit up her whole face. She spoke of how she had twins and she was sitting there knitting.  I thought to myself: how does she find the time to raise twins and knit?!  I have since come to find that this was just the tip of the iceberg of what she accomplished.

The whole 3 hours flew by.  Everyone was cracking up at things we were sharing and I realized those moms weren't so different from me- except they had noisy little humans they were in charge of keeping alive.  I can't remember how long after that, it wasn't long, that Casey and I became facebook friends.  I came to learn more about Casey.  She is happily married to Shannon, a soldier, a major in Massachusetts National Guard.  

I'm embarrassed to say I had no idea what soldiers who love the same sex and their families have to go through.  I was shocked that even married, the spouse isn't recognized. I knew nothing of DOMA until I read all that Casey and Shannon have been fighting for.  They stood up to congress and stood up for equality in all family units, straight, gay and anything and everything in between. Here is American people telling a soldier her love isn't important enough to be recognized.  Here is this soldier sacrificing herself and her own life to protect our freedoms but she isn't allowed freedoms herself? That is horrible. Her wife isn't allowed the same benefits as another wife?!  I cannot even think of the words to express how unfair and twisted that it. It's unfathomable to me.  


A year ago I had an experience in dunkies trying to get a coffee.  The couple in front of me was both arrogant and ignorant.  They loudly were talking how same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to marry.  I was so horrified and hoped they didn't have their own kids to breed another generation of hate.  I thought to myself: ma'am, no one told you that you couldn't marry your husband who has a face only a mother could love, and sir, no one stopped you from legally marrying the mega bitch.  I was so disgusted by them but at the same time, felt bad for them.  I felt bad that they clearly never felt love and don't know what love is, and those people are the saddest of all. I never said anything aloud to them and I should have.  I couldn't even tell a rude couple in front of me to shut up but Casey and Shannon had the courage and strength to stand up to society and congress and get things changed.

They fought hard and made an impact and made a difference.  They spoke up for what is right- and they won!  Committed same-sex couples who are legally married in their own state can now receive federal protections such as social security, health insurance, veteran's benefits and retirement savings. They did this while raising two little kids and the regular hustle and bustle of everyday life. I can't even match my own god damn socks and or remember to pay my cell phone bill on time. 
So Casey and Shannon, you two are love.  You two are what this world needs.  You're society's teachers and it's about time everyone sits up and learns.  

xo



Read these:

a major and her wife on the effects of DOMA

Casey and Shannon 

Interview with Casey


No comments:

Post a Comment